Monday, 9 April 2012

Turkey Stepping Up Artefacts Extortion

These artefacts were produced in the culture that the invading Turks destroyed. This is the equivalent of the German government asking for the return of ancient Hebrew sculptures that had been owned by wealthy Jews in Germany but was looted from them during the war then sold to collectors abroad.

These objects are part of the heritage of European civilisation and therefore more properly belong in Britain than they do in the victory trophy collection of an invading Asiatic power.
Turkey has become only the second country after Greece to lay formal claim to an object in the British Museum, and is also demanding the return of a marble head in the Victoria & Albert Museum.

The Turkish Government wrote to the British Museum in January to demand the return of an unprepossessing carved stone slab from the 1st century BC, known as the Samsat Stela, which is on display in Room 52 of the museum.

The 1.3m (4.3ft) basalt stone is neither as well known nor as attractive as the Elgin Marbles, the most celebrated outstanding restitution case on the museum’s books, but it is now part of a new frontline in international museum politics.

The stele was discovered in 1882 in a field near Samsat in the south of modern-day Turkey. The slab, which depicts the ancient King Antiochus I greeting Herakles, had previously been used as an olive press and had a large hole drilled through the centre. It was bought by Sir Charles Leonard Woolley, the museum’s director of excavations, and became part of its collection in 1927.

In the past two years Turkey has stepped up claims to objects in museums around the world, including the Louvre in Paris, the State Museums of Berlin, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the J. Paul Getty Museum in Los Angeles.

While many of the claims are longstanding, they have been revived with a fresh vigour since the appointment of Osman Murat Suslu, a director-general of cultural heritage and museums, in 2010. Turkey has started refusing loan requests to museums with disputed objects, affecting exhibition planning.

The V&A has had to postpone a show on Ottoman culture. The British Museum is trying to work out how to mount an exhibition about the Eastern Mediterranean in the time of Tutankhamun without what would have been pivotal loans from Turkey.

Last week Neil MacGregor, the director of the British Museum, wrote to the Turkish authorities laying out the museum’s case for retaining the stele. According to the museum: “At no point between 1927 and 2005 have the Turkish authorities, who were fully aware of the stele’s location, suggested that it had been improperly acquired or should be returned.”

As with the Elgin Marbles, the museum has offered to loan the stele to Turkey for temporary exhibition if Turkey recognises the British Museum’s ownership of the object.

Meanwhile, the V&A is waiting to hear Ankara’s response to its offer of an indefinite loan of a marble head of a child that was excavated and brought to Britain in 1882. It dates to the 3rd century AD was removed from the Sidamara Sarcophagus that is now in Turkey.

Privately, the V&A is more sympathetic to the Turkish claim than the British Museum because of the circumstances of how the head found its way into the collection, but it is forbidden by law to transfer ownership of the object.

In each case, the disputes have a distinct political flavour. There is suspicion inside both institutions that individuals within the Turkish Government are more interested in publicising the disputes for political purposes than finding a resolution.

A senior source at the V&A said: “The ball is now very much in their court and we really don’t know what’s going to happen.”
Source: The Times (£)

12 comments:

  1. pure non sense....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Marissa Grace,I am a Citizen Of Turkey.Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Dr Purva Pius Finance Home he help me with a loan of $300.000 some days ago after been scammed of $2500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $300.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY TESTIMONY FROM A LEGITIMATE MONEY LENDER
    Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?contact Dr Purva Pius Finance Home he help me with a loan of $300.000 some days ago after been scammed of $2500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $300.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. Email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, my name is LUMBA RICKY and am from Austria and I was broke because I entered into a wrong business which made me loss all my money but as I was searching through the internet I saw an advert about a loan company named DR PURVA PIUS Loan Company whom can give a loan for as low as 3% interest rate with no collateral or credit card needed. I applied for a loan in the company to my greatest surprise the CEO of the company DR PURVA PIUS approved my loan of $500,000 which i used to get myself back to business. I said to myself i need to share this good news to the world so if you need any loan of any type with no collateral or credit card for as low as 3% interest rate I advice you to contact Navaro Loan Company at their email: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings to you by ADIA.

    We are a France-Paris based investment company known as Avit
    Development Investment Authority working on expanding its portfolio
    globally and financing projects.

    We would be happy to fund and invest with you in any profitable
    project if you have any viable project we can finance by making mutual
    investment with you. If you are interested, kindly contact us
    on:avitinvestmentauthority2@gmail.com for more details.

    Looking forward hearing from you soonest.

    Yours truly,
    Mrs Kristina Anderson
    (Personal Assistant)
    Avit Development Investment Authority(ADIA)
    501 Avenue Montaigne,75008 Paris-France
    Paris-France.Avit Development Investment Authority (ADIA)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I Got My Loan From A Genuine And Reliable Loan Company
    I am Mr.Kumar Raji I live in Australia I am from India i was in need of a loan of $100,000 and was scammed by those fraudulent lenders and a friend introduce me to IBRAHIM MUSA,and he lend me the loan without any stress,I made a vow to Myself and God that I will keep sharing my testimony on the internet on how I got my loan. Here its E-mail: powerfinance7@gmail.com

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS
    1. Your Full names:_______
    2. Contact address:_______
    3. Country Of Residence:______
    4. Loan Amount Required:________
    5. Duration:_____
    6. Gender:_____
    7. Occupation:________
    8. Monthly Income:_______
    9. Date Of Birth:________
    10.Telephone Number:__________

    Email Kindly Contact Him Via: powerfinance7@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. My name is Elsa Holloway. I live in the US state of California, and I'm very happy woman today? I said to myself that any loan the bank can change my life and my family, and I refer anyone that is looking for a loan for Them.They gave me family, my happiness, you need a loan of $ 250,000.00 to start my life all over widow with two (2) of kids I meant this for fear of lending loan honest and God on the Internet , which helped me a loan of USD $ 250,000.00 Inc., are in fact the fear of God 's people, a reputable loan company. I am very happy that I got my loan today. If you in need of a loan and you are 100% sure to repay the loan , please contact them and please tell them that the woman, Elsa Holloway refer you to them. communication via email: jubrinunityfinancialloan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


    1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
    2. Telephone Numbers:……….
    3. Address and Location:…….
    4. Amount in request………..
    5. Repayment Period:………..
    6. Purpose Of Loan………….
    7. country…………………
    8. phone…………………..
    9. occupation………………
    10.age/sex…………………
    11.Monthly Income…………..
    12.Email……………..

    Regards.
    Managements
    Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  10. Attention,
    This is an online advertisement from a registered Government approved and Licensed lender that gives out loans of various kinds,e.g, Mortgage loan, Business loan, Car Loans to only serious and interested parties against a very low affordable interest rate of 3%. Apply for your loan now. If you are interested contact Via: Abdallah.afandi@financier.com
    Thanks,
    Mr Yin.

    ReplyDelete

  11. Am Raymond Thompson, the issue of credit and collateral are something that clients are always worried about when seeking a loan from a legitimate lender, getting a legitimate loan have always been a huge problem To clients who have financial problem and need solution. But we have made that difference in the lending industry, We offer a loan from 1,000.00 to 10,000,000.00 as low as 2% interest, we fund small scale loan firm, intermediaries, small scale financial institutions, No social security and no credit check, 100% Guarantee.Our Services Include the Following:Debt Consolidation,Second Mortgage,Business Loans,Personal Loans, International Loans,Family loan. For more information about getting a loan contact us now via email:{thompsonloancompany@yahoo.com}

    ReplyDelete

  12. Am Raymond Thompson, the issue of credit and collateral are something that clients are always worried about when seeking a loan from a legitimate lender, getting a legitimate loan have always been a huge problem To clients who have financial problem and need solution. But we have made that difference in the lending industry, We offer a loan from 1,000.00 to 10,000,000.00 as low as 2% interest, we fund small scale loan firm, intermediaries, small scale financial institutions, No social security and no credit check, 100% Guarantee.Our Services Include the Following:Debt Consolidation,Second Mortgage,Business Loans,Personal Loans, International Loans,Family loan. For more information about getting a loan contact us now via email:{thompsonloancompany@yahoo.com}

    ReplyDelete